History of R.M. Grauer Elementary
R.M. Grauer Elementary school (1948) was built at its present location on Blundell Road between Railway Avenue and No. 1 Road to service the farming community in Richmond's northwest sector as well as the families of veterans who had returned from the war.
The school was named after Rudolph Martin Grauer (1890-1972), who established a general store in 1914 on Sea Island at the junction of the middle and north arms of the Fraser River. The store itself was torn down in 1981 after 67 years of existence. Grauer was Richmond’s Reeve (mayor) from 1930-1949. He served on Richmond’s School Board and was an active member in the Richmond lacrosse organization.
For further information, please visit the City of Richmond Archives at http://www.richmond.ca/cityhall/archives/exhibits/schools/list.htm