Welcome to GRAUER STRONGSTART ~
Where children and families learn by playing together!
StrongStart Telephone: 604-295-6429
Location: Grauer Elementary
We are in a drop-in program open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9:15 a.m. to 11:45 p.m. and Tuesday from 12:45p.m. to 3:15 p.m., for preschoolers and their caregivers (parents, grandparents or babysitters). Younger siblings may also attend the centre. Our child and family program concludes at 11:45 a.m. From 11:45 to 12:15 we provide community and family outreach support. We are closed on all school holidays and professional development days. A responsible adult must remain with the child while attending the centre. There is no charge for the program, but a registration form must be completed upon your second visit.
We offer a warm and inviting environment for you and your child to play and learn together. We provide activities and materials designed to engage childrenís imagination and curiosity. We believe children learn by being active; exploring; talking; touching; experimenting and problem solving. We hope that in this room, children will feel safe to play and learn in many different ways.
Our centre is full when we have sixteen children. Please share our centre by attending once a week. Other family activities are also available at local community centres, the library and Richmond Family Place. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns, we welcome your comments!
Children learn best when they feel safe and valued. You can help your child to feel safe, trust themselves and learn by:
• sitting close to your child at their level, rather than standing above them (feel free to move a chair up close!)
• letting your child be the leader in his/her play; let your child learn by exploring their own interests and ideas, even if you know that something may not work or be correct.
• giving your child your full attention; this is your time to enjoy playing and being together, with no laundry, meals or housework to worry about!
Please help to keep our space clean, safe and comfortable for everyone :
• stay with your child, leave when your child is tired
• talk with your child, use your first language
• encourage kindness
• show your child how to treat toys and equipment with respect; let the teacher know if something is broken
• read together, read the pictures, read some more!
• help to keep our space clean and tidy; put toys and materials away when you are finished with them
• bring a fruit or vegetable to share at snack time
• sit in the cubby room or at a table for drinks and snacks that you may bring from home; please be very aware of food that may be a choking hazard or allergen to others; NO NUT PRODUCES IN THE CENTRE
• please turn off your cell phone
Grauer StrongStart is proud to practice the Reggio Emilia Approach to child learning.
The Reggio Emilia philosophy is based upon the following set of principles:
-children must have some control over the direction of their learning;
-children must be able to learn through experiences of touching, moving, listening, seeing, and hearing;
-children have a relationship with other children and with material items in the world that children must be allowed to explore;
and children must have endless ways and opportunities to express themselves.